Eh, It came free with the three Legends of Wrestling DVD’s I reviewed earlier this year. I’m not a big fan of Rey. I prefer Mistico, La Parka, Super Crazy, Cibernetico, Pierroth Jr., Psicosis and many other luchadores to Rey. he’s forumulac that Bret Hart. He only has the same basic match each time and you can really see him having to be carried by other, more talented cruiserweights and it’s apparent in this collection. There are three matches involving Psicosis, 2 with Ultimo Dragon, 3 with Dean Malenko, 2 with Juvie, FIVE with Eddie Guerrro and FOUR with Chavito Guerrero. Seriously, I realize the guy can only have a good match with a limited selection of opponents, but damn, don’t make it so obvious.
1. Latin Lover, Heavy metal and Rey Mysterio Vs. Louie Spicolli, Fuerza Guerrera and Psicosis. Boring six man tag that ends abruptly and even the commentators are like, “WTF? It’s over?” 0/1
2. Rey Mysterio Vs. Psicosis. ECW intro to Lucha Libre match. Both men were best when Paul E let them go all out rather than Vince and Eric Bischoff’s crappy toned down luchadore stylings. They really should ahve done the two out of three falls match though. 1/2
3. Mysterio Vs. Juventud Guerrero. Oh god. Crap vs. Crap right here. Blown spots and fake wonky looking moves galore. 1/3
4. Rey Mysterio vs. Dean Malenko. Dean is underrated and underappreciated. It was the Man of 1000 Holds that managed to carry Rey for months and get him over. This is their first encounter and thankfully Malenko wins. 2/4
5. Malenko/Mysterio This is from Monday Night raw a month later where Rey finally wins the belt. 3/5
6. Mysterio/Ultimo Dragon. Awesome to see the WWE calls him ULTIMATE DRAGON in the video and in the booklet while the announcers at WCW actually get it right for once. Dragon is the second greatest CW ever and it’s a shame they jobbed him to Mysterio here. At least he carries Rey to an aweosme match. 4/6.
7. Rey Mysterio Vs. Super Calo. Boring match. it’s only on here because it features two rings due to War games later that night. 4/7.
8. Rey Mysterio Vs. Dean Malenko. Malenko finally wins the title back in a pretty good match. 5/8.
9. Rey Mysterio Vs. Jushin Liger. Liger is the greatest CW wrestler of all time and thankfully WCW lets him dominate the match and win it. Glorified squash match, but the right guy went over, especially as Liger had just come back from a brain tumour. 6/9.
10. Rey Mysterio Vs. Ultimo Dragon. Well, at least we get to see Ultimo Dragon twice. Another carried match where Ultimo is awesome and yet he doesn’t go over. At least he makes Rey look good. 7/10.
11. Rey Mysterio vs. Eddie Guerrero. This is their best match on the collection and one of the best opening matches to a PPV of all time. Rey’s second best match ever. 8/11
12. Rey Mysterio Vs. Eddie Guerrero. Eddie wins the title, but it’s a boring match and a good chunk of the match is what they usually do when they’re in the ring together. 8/12
13. Rey Mysterio Vs. Juventud Guerrera. Mysterio wins the title. Again. A very dull match. 8/13.
14. Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho. Jericho isn’t into full Ralphus protected asshat yet, but this is a fun match with good psychology with Jericho winning the title. 9/14.
15. Rey Mysterio Vs. Psicosis. Just a generic match between the two. Not sure why this was included. 9/15.
16. Rey Mysterio vs. Blitzkreig. I miss Blitzkreig. Awesome wrestler that got out way too soon. He made Rey look good in his first match for WCW here. 10/16.
17. Rey Mysterio Vs. Chavo Guerrero. Rey’s first WWF match. Nothing special to say the least. Lots of ring rust and blow spots. 10/17.
18. Rey Mysterio Vs. Kurt Angle. Rey’s best match ever. Angle makes anyone look awesome. 11/18.
19. Rey Mysterio Vs. Matt Hardy. A boring CW match highlighted only by classic Mattitude hijinx. 11/19.
20. Rey Mysterio vs, Tajiri. Tajiri really toned it down a lot here to help Ray stay in pace with him, which is a shame. Rey wins the title. Again. Tajiri has had better matches but the WWE really never knew what to do with him after they realized he was more over than most of their roster. 11/20.
21. Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero. Really? AGAIN? This is just another generic throwaway match between these two. No value of significance and the quality isn’t there either. 11/21.
22. Rey and Eddie Vs. The Bashams. Rey and Eddie win the titles together as the WWE continues to suck the corpse of Eddie Guerrero off. This is an AWFUL match, which is no surprise as it involves the Bashams. 11/22.
23. Rey Vs. Eddie. Forumlaic match between these two once again. Nowhere as good as their WCW days and it ends in a Schmozz. Okay then. 11/23.
24. Rey Vs Eddie. Fifth time these two are in a match together in this dvd. Seriously? WTF WWE? A generic smackdown free tv match. again, it’s paint by numbers. 11/24
25. Rey Mysterio vs. Shawn Michaels. My friend Chris Whitehead and I saw this match live. It was the first wrestling card Chris had ever seen andthis was by far his favourite match. Shawn made Rey look like a zillion bucks. 12/25
26. Rey Vs. Kurt Vs. Orton. Orton is awful to watch. Angle is Awesome. the two kind of balance each other out. WWE never has very good triple threat matches and this is no exception. Yes a CW finally won the world title in the WWE, but it was a pity win and Rey’s title reign was horribly handled by the WWE. 12/26.
27. Rey Vs JBL. Man, two guys I usually can’t stand in the ring against each other. Yet somehow, they have a pretty good brawl here. The only good match of Rey’s title reign save finally jobbing to King Booker. 13/27
28. Rey Mysterio vs,. Chavo Guerrero. Ugh. At least it was an FCA match, but it still wasn’t good. 13/28
29. Rey Mysterio Vs. Chavo Guerrero. This was an I Quit match and a way to get Rey out fro a while so he could have knee surgery. of course, they quickly blew Chavo’s heel push. Oy. Still not a good match and a boring way to end the DVD. 13/29.
Wow. Not even a 50% match quality ratio with 29 matches. That’s pretty sad. Again, at least it was free. $15 for this and the three LoW DVD’s total is a good deal. This however, goes up on the trading block. Rey just doesn’t do it for me.
Is It Worth Keeping? No